For 5 generations, family Frierss have processed sausage and ham specialities at the highest level. The pioneering spirit, highest quality standards and the pursuit of best taste characterize the Frierss success story until today.
Master butcher Rudolf Frierss, the son of a leather manufacturer, spent years of apprenticeship and travel in Hollabrunn, Austria. In 1898 he bought the property at Klagenfurter Street 29 in Villach and founded his company there. Frierss was the first sausage producer in Villach. Even then he focused his attention on offering only the highest-quality products, and thus began the now more than one-hundred-and-twenty-year history of this Carinthian family business.
1898 Opening of the Rudolf Frierss Butcher’s Shop on Klagenfurter Street in Villach
1910 First Gold Medal for Frierss at the Paris World Fair
1925 Rudolf Frierss hands over the business to his son, Rudolf
In 1925 Rudolf Frierss handed over the business to his son Rudolf, the grandfather of the current managing director. With his pioneering spirit and uncompromising commitment to quality, Rudolf laid the foundation for successful, innovative corporate development, despite difficult post-war years.
1930 Delivery of products to adjacent regions and valleys with own horse-drawn carriage
1949 Construction of the first original Italian mortadella production plant in Austria
1955 Reconstruction of the residential and commercial building, which was partially destroyed during the war
1968 Expansion of the original operation through building acquisition and new construction
After his apprenticeship Rudolf garnered a great deal of experience in the family business and became the acting boss in 1969. Rudolf and his father then evolved from being small local butchers into meat and sausage specialists with their own network of branch offices and Austria-wide distribution.
Rudolf’s characteristic great love of Italy led him to produce his own mortadella from Austrian pork. Together with world-renowned mortadella enthusiasts, he worked on a special roasting process and developed his own spice mixture, which is still a well-kept family secret. Rudolf’s creation was a hit all the way to Modena, Italy, whereupon "Mortadella Pope" Bruno Galli visited the Frierss family in Villach and brought in his know-how to take Frierss’ mortadella to the next level.
In 1982, Rudolf Frierss took over the management of the company and made his sons, Rudolf and Kurt Frierss, partners. In 1990, the management was handed over to his sons. As a "true pioneer in the establishment of the Carinthian economy" Rudolf received a medal of honor from the province of Carinthia in 2010.
1968 Frierss produces the first specialty salami "Milanese salami" and mini salami "Cacci"and is considered a pioneer of special Italian specialties
1969 Purchase of the Treffen Castle with its own farming area
1970 Nationwide distribution of Frierss mortadella to Vienna for the first time
1971 Frierss extends its specialty salami assortment with "Crespone", "Caranthana" and "Villacher Salami"
1976 Sons Rudolf and Kurt Frierss join the company
1980 Establishment of own network of branch offices with six freezer shops in the Villach region
1981 Development of national distribution of Carinthian specialties such as originalCarinthian house sausage, Carinthian mountain salami, and Carinthian bacon
1982 Rudolf Frierss takes over management of the family business
1984 Bestowing of the great honor of the Coat of Arms of the City of Villach
1985 Beginning of bacon and prosciutto aging in the Treffen Castle
1990 Rudolf Frierss hands over the company management to his sons Rudolf and Kurt Frierss
Since 1990, the skilled butcher, Rudolf Frierss, together with his brother, Kurt Frierss, and his nephew, Kurt Frierss, Jr., have led the company, with the last one being responsible for production and quality management. As one of Austria's leading ham and sausage specialists still today, Frierss offers a unique range of Carinthian delicacies and is considered a pioneer of Italian specialties such as mortadella and Prosciutto Castello, which are among the most popular delicatessen gourmet goods in terms of their quality in the Austrian food trade.
1990 New construction of the cured ham factory in Treffen near Villach
1991 Expansion into new export markets, for example Italy
1994 Start of construction of the new company building with administration, production,packaging and dispatch on Maria Gailer Street in Villach
2000 The company receives authorization to ship to Japan and exports prosciutto
2002 Export to Germany
2005 Company is certified according to ISO 9001
2008 Receives IFS certification at a higher level
2010 Award of the Carinthian Coat of Arms
2012 Expansion of exports to Switzerland
2013 Opening of Frierss Feines Haus (Frierss’ Delicacy Shop) as a flagship store including a restaurant with gourmet offerings (2 stars/toques Gault Millau), delicatessen, and snack shop
2014 First product champion victory with Prosciutto Castello
2014 Winner of the highest award in the smoked sausage category at the SÜFFA International
2015 Awarding of the City of Villach Honorary Medal to Rudolf Frierss
2015 Winner of the LUKULLUS with Frierss Feines Haus named "Best Butcher Shop with a Gastronomy Concept"
2016 First-time winner of the highest award for the best batch at the ÖFA international specialist competition for meat and sausage products in Wels, Austria
2017 Frierss Feines Haus honored as "Best Delicatessen in Carinthia"
Family business since 1898
150 different types of sausage, ham, and smoked specialties
Pioneer of Italian specialties in Austria
2 production sites with IFS certification at a higher level
3 Frierss specialty shops
Austrian food trade, wholesale, delicatessen and gastronomy distribution
10% of production reserved for export to Germany, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland, and Japan